In the meantime, here are a few more spells to contemplate.
The following is designated Open Game Content.
Draw Cthonic Current
Duration: 48 turns
Range: 1d100x10' depth, 10' radius/level
Caster makes a direct, personal connection to the deeper, Cthonic forces circulating within the inner-regions of the Great Ring of Zalchis. The current courses through them body and soul for the duration of the spell, empowering them with the ability to cast Cthonic Spells, convert the energies into healing (restores 1d6/level of caster, for self only), or to work the energies into a talisman, amulet, weapon or other potential magical item. There is a 70% chance of a backlash if the caster is not previously attuned to Cthonic forces (see Attunement: Cthonic for details).
Cthonic Backlash Effects
- Victim is dragged into the Central Cthonic Vortex.
- Victim and everything within 1d30' is dragged down into theCentral Cthonic Vortex.. Save at -4 penalty in order to escape the collapse-zone. Area is now aCthonic Flux-Zone.. Everyone within 100' is exposed to cthonic energies.
- Victim internalizes the cthonic current. Save or take 3d6 damage, double if not properly attuned.
- Victim flares with intense cthonic energies and suffers 4d10 damage. Save or become Cthonified and begin to suffer 1d4 damage per hour spent outside the Central Cthonic Channel. You may have gained some sort of mutation-like alteration or cthonic power if you make a second save. Shift two points from any one attribute to another, player's choice.
- You have become hyper-attuned to the cthonic current. You now radiate a flickering arcing aura of cthonic energies that inflict 1d4 damage to everyone not resistant/attuned to this energy. You are now a cthonic creature and can be turned as one by a cleric.
- You have taken on too much and burned-out your ability to perceive, contact or exploit the cthonic currents. In the future you take double damage from all cthonic effects.
Draw Telluric Current
Duration: 24 turns
Range: 10' radius/level
Caster attracts and accumulates telluric energies from the surface regions of the Great Ring of Zalchis. These energies form a current that then courses through their body and soul for the duration of the spell, empowering the caster with the ability to cast Telluric or Geomantic Spells, convert the energies into healing (restores 1d8/level of caster, for anyone they can touch), or to work these energies into a talisman, armor, weapon or other potential magical item. There is a 30% chance of a backlash if the caster is not previously attuned to telluric forces (see Attunement: Telluric for details).
Telluric Backlash Effects
- Caster is knocked prone and stunned for 1d6 turns.
- Victim is encysted within a rough sphere of aggregated rubble 1d4 feet thick.
- Caster is petrified for 2d4 turns, then reverts back to flesh a little bit more with each save they make before the duration of this spell runs out.
- Everyone within 10' radius of caster must make their save versus petrification or be paralyzed for 1d4 turns.
- Everyone within 1d20' of caster is shifted 1d4 miles in random direction.
- Caster is buried 3d10' below surface. They have enough air for 1d4 hours.
Draw Surface Current
Duration: 6 turns
Range: 10' radius
Caster attracts and accumulates the fragile surface-level residual energies from the surrounding area. These energies form a weak, sporadic current that then sparks across their aura for the duration of the spell, empowering the caster with the ability to convert the energies into healing (restores 1d4/level of caster, for anyone they can touch), or to improve their armor class by 1d4, or to empower their weapon for a bonus of 1d2 for the duration of the spell. There is no backlash associated with this spell, but it does provoke an extra wandering monster check.
Draw Near-Sky Current
Duration: 12 turns
Range: 1d100x10' column
Caster creates a minor vortex in order to attract and accumulate atmospheric energies from the near-sky regions of the Great Ring of Zalchis. These energies form a current that then pours down upon the caster's body for the duration of the spell, empowering them with the ability to cast Aerial or Near-Orbital Spells, convert the energies into healing (restores 1d8/level of caster, for anyone they designate within 10' radius), or to work these energies into a talisman, armor, weapon or other potential magical item. There is a 50% chance of a backlash if the caster is not previously attuned to telluric forces (see Attunement: Telluric for details).
Near-Sky Backlash Effects
- Caster attracts some random space junk that comes right at them like a falling meteorite. Save or get struck for 3d6 damage. Roll on Random Space Finds Tables that you can download from the EXONAUTS! blog.
- Set-off a spontaneous mini-cyclone within 3d20' radius for duration of spell.
- Area of effect of spell becomes instantaneous vacuum. Save or suffer 2d6 suffocation damage per turn exposed. 30% chance this void-spot remains permanent. Thanks a lot.
- Roll three times on the Random Space Finds Table to see what comes showering down upon your location. Yes, that means everyone in the immediate 100' area gets to roll three saving rolls to avoid getting struck.The bright-side is that now you've got some junk to look over.
- Victim is drawn upwards into the Maelstrom, unless they make a save, in which case they get throw 4d100 miles from their starting location in a random direction.
- Caster draws the attention of a large Aerial monster. One that thinks they might be food.
Draw Maelstrom Current
Duration: 6 turns
Range: Much too close
Caster extends their aura to attract energies from the Upper or Lower Maelstrom Vortexes (50/50 chance of either). The current that then starts to course through them causes 1d6 damage to everything around them per turn for the duration of the spell. It has a base 30% chance to cause a backlash effect, increasing by an additional 10% per turn the spell is in effect. Caster must make a save at the end of the spell or else a Scourge-Storm is set into motion within 1d100' of their position. The Scourge-Storm will be 2d20' in diameter, travel at 260'/turn, inflict 1d12 damage to everything within its area of effect and will be a randomly wandering encounter in this region from now on. Hopefully it doesn't recognize the one who spawned it...
Here ends the Open Game Content.
There are other Current-related spells, but these will give you something to consider. We'll cover Attunements, Vortexes, and the rest of that sort of Zalchis-specific stuff in another post.